Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Q&A

Kossori over on the Newsarama board has these questions about the Comic Book Maker column and the Wise Intelligence book:

But I have one concern.
Was all this done previously and is being posted post-production?
Or is it occuring at the same time?
Wouldn't your having such a high-profile column on self-publishing be a great incentive for a publisher to pick up a book that will be getting free press at Newsarama?

The answer to this is that these columns are in fact a few weeks behind. When column one hit I had a great many people writing to me and asking if they could do a story, but by this time, all the stories had artists. I'm currently working on columns five and six, which doesn't really put me that far ahead.

Right now I'm still working with all the artists who are in a variety of phases. Four stories completed, five are being worked on, and the last one...well...I won't talk about that right now. The fact of the matter is that in a few short weeks the column will be happening in real time with the book.

Which goes to the last question...I have no clue what a publisher wants. When I get to doing queries for the book (which will be covered in one of the columns) I don't plan on saying "HEY! THIS IS MY BOOK AS FEATURED IN THE ARTICLES OVER ON NEWSARAMA FOR ALL TO SEE!". I plan on peddling my book as just another indy book. I really don't think I tons of name recognition...I honestly don't think Top Shelf is going to get my submission and think, "Hey! Ryan McLelland! Open that up and give him a call. See when he can do lunch." I'm very much hoping that if the book is picked up by anyone, it is because of its merits.

That and some of the surprises. More on the big surprise in next week's column.

It's all an experiment folks. I'm just hoping that what I do might help those who need help, might prompt those who want to do, and is just a tad fun along the way.

Tomorrow: A look at some of MY bad artwork via high school and college years. No worries...only two samples...because I HATE when people mock me. And my artwork...it is VERY easy to mock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home